HR Management Systems
Areas of Intervention
- Personnel systems: workforce planning (including staffing norms), recruitment, hiring and deployment
- Work environment and conditions: employee relations, workplace safety, gender equity, job satisfaction and career development
- HR information system integration of data sources to ensure timely availability of accurate data required for planning, training, appraising and supporting the workforce
- Performance management: performance appraisal, supervision and productivity.
- HRM units in place and strategically located at national and local levels
- HR information system in place and used for HRH planning at all levels
- Performance management system in place.
Tools and Guidelines
Everybody’s Business: Strengthening Health Systems to Improve Health Outcomes: WHO’s Framework for Action. World Health Organization, 2007.
Foundations of Gender Equality in the Health Workforce. CapacityPlus, 2012
Governance Approaches to Reducing Absenteeism. CapacityPlus, 2012
Handbook for Measurement and Monitoring: Indicators of the Regional Goals for Human Resources for Health Pan American Health Organization / World Health Organization, 2010
HRH Global Resource Center eLearning Platform. CapacityPlus, 2011
HRH Global Resource Center. The Capacity Project/CapacityPlus, 2008
HRIS Strengthening Implementation Toolkit. CapacityPlus, 2011
Human Resource Management (HRM) Assessment Instrument for NGOs and Public Sector Health Organizations. Management Sciences for Health, 2006.
Human Resource Management (HRM) Assessment Tool for HIV/AIDS Environments. Management Sciences for Health (MSH), 2006.
Human Resources for Health: A Gender Analysis. Asha George, 2007.
Human Resources Management Assessment Approach. CapacityPlus, 2013
iHRIS Suite. Capacity/CapacityPlus, 2008
Monitoring the Building Blocks of Health Systems: A Handbook of Indicators and Their Measurement Strategies. World Health Organization, 2010.
Monitoring the Health Workforce: Measurement Issues and Tools. World Health Organization, 2008.
Population Growth and the Global Health Workforce Crisis. CapacityPlus, 2011
Recruitment and Hiring. Management Sciences for Health (MSH), n.d.
Task Shifting: Rational Redistribution of Tasks Among Health Workforce Teams, Global Recommendations and Guidelines. World Health Organization, 2008.
An Overview of Human Resources for Health (HRH) Projection Models. The Capacity Project, 2008.
Attracting and Retaining Nurse Tutors in Malawi. The Capacity Project, 2006
Data Quality Considerations in Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) Strengthening. The Capacity Project, 2008.
Global Experience of Community Health Workers for Delivery of Health Related Millennium Development Goals: A Systematic Review, Country Case Studies, and Recommendations for Integration into National Health Systems. 2010
Human Resources Management (HRM) in the Health Sector. The Capacity Project, 2006.
Validating a Work Group Climate Assessment Tool for Improving the Performance of Public Health Organizations. Human Resources for Health, 2005.
Workforce Planning for the Health Sector. The Capacity Project, 2006.